In this unit students explore significant examples of Australian plays which have emerged since the 1950s and which have contributed to the ongoing progress of an Australian national drama. The unit also aims to introduce students to the study of dramatic texts. The unit also aims to introduce students to generic skills relevant to the study of dramatic texts.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
1. listen to, view, read and discuss significant Australian plays published in the latter half of the twentieth century;
2. relate the plays studied to the context of relevant events and issues in Australian cultural history; and
3. write effective critical essays which demonstrate a selective use of theoretical approaches as well as the ability to understand and evaluate these when analysed in relation to the set texts.
1. A selection of mid and later 20th century Australian drama.
2. Exploration of the cultural and historical issues providing the context for the emergence of an identifiable national drama.
3. Reading and analysis of the texts and of their cultural, historical and social contexts using relevant theoretical perspectives.
Essay/Tutorial paper 1 - 30%
Essay/Tutorial paper 2 - 30%
Examination - 40%